Friday, July 17, 2009

TREK 2009

Don & I were "Ma & Pa" on Trek this year. We had a really cool experience. Our family was awesome. We treked 31 miles in 3 days. The first day was the longest, we treked 14 miles. With just a few miles to go they announced that the men would not be with us for about 1 1/2 miles. For the women's pull (the men had gone off to war). We had to push/pull our handcarts up the steepest hill yet. When we got to the top of the hill the men were lined up on both sides of the trail with there hats over their hearts singing hymns reverently. They sounded awesome with there deep men voices. It was a very moving experience. We camped in a meadow for a night then continued on the next day. When we stopped again we stayed in that place for 2 nights. We joined with another ma and pa family to make a strong shelter.

OUR WARD...On our way!
Our "Trek Family" 11 awesome people!
The Men!
The Women!
The Hottest Ma & Pa...Ever!
The Handcart Company! (17 handcarts)
We were first this day...no more riding up anyones behind!
We were quite happy about that.
Square dancing night! Beautiful country. The fireside got rained out & I mean Rain, wind, destroyed shelter's (except our awesome shelter), but we got a beautiful double
rainbow out of it.
Our shelter.....2 nights, 24 People!
Pioneer game day! (Don's in the gray)
The Pa log throw!
My COWBOY!!! All cute like, dutch ovenin me some dinner.
Even after the huge blisters, tired body, sunburned swollen lips, & dirty sweat. I would do it all again, our youth were AMAZING, non complainers, willing to work, not goof off's, but so much fun. If you get the chance to go on trek, take it. I gained such an awesome appreciation for the Pioneers and what they had to go through... they were amazing, brave, & so full of Faith. I also learned that the world will be in great hands with youth like this around. To be honest I was scared for the future, but our stake has very valiant youth. I would hang out with these guys anytime...although they probably think I'm too old and boring.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man you guys are tough! I love your pioneer braids! I was just thinking what a funny sight you guys would be from an airplane flying overhead. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that you did that Jaymie!!! What a neat experience; you've inspired me to want to go. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two sure make cute pioneers! I bet you had a blast. Serious... lets play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like an awesome experience! how fun! ~Christy

    ReplyDelete